Back to School Safety Tips!
It’s that time of year again! School buses stopping frequently, more vehicles on the road, crazy carpooling, and kids walking or biking. Please follow the following Auto Body Xperts tips for keeping yourself, kids, and vehicles safe this school year.
- Yellow lights on a school bus means slow down – don’t speed up – because the bus is preparing to stop. There is a likely chance there are students waiting to get on or off the bus.
- Red lights flashing means the bus is stopping. Please stop at least 20 feet behind the school bus and never pass a stopped school bus. Once the school bus begins to move again keep your eyes out for students still moving about.
- Even when lights are not flashing, keep your eyes out for students moving throughout the road – particularly in the morning or mid-afternoon.
Parents, it is important to talk bus safety with your students. Always practice the SAFE method:
S tay five steps from the curb.
Always wait until the bus comes to a complete stop and the bus driver tells you to board.
Face forward after finding a seat on the bus.
Exit the bus when it stops and look left-right-left for cars before crossing the street.
Are your kids bikers to school? As fun as biking can be to get to school, there are a few simple things to keep your bike rider safe.
- Always wear a correctly fitted helmet, and securely fasten the chin strap.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic, and follow traffic signs and signals.
- Stay in the bike lane whenever possible.
- Never use electronics while riding – they are distracting.